Northside Opera Study Group
Sydney Opera Society
Northside Opera Study Group was started in 1975 by a group of opera lovers on Sydney's north side. Weekly lectures are presented by distinguished artists, musicians and academics. These include music, videos, performances by up and coming singers and an annual concert by students from the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. Programs are wide and varied and cover traditional as well as contemporary opera.
Opera Lunedi began in 1989 for the study of opera and music appreciation. Meetings are held on Mondays 10am–12.30pm in St Martin's Anglican Church Hall, 9b Arnold Street, Killara (a short walk from Killara Station).
Pacific Opera is a non-profit arts organisation that exists to provide training and performance opportunities to the young stars of tomorrow's opera stage, both within Australia and across the world. Led by artistic director Simon Kenway, Pacific Opera's young artists enjoy an annual program of rigorous training in musical, professional and industry skills to further develop them into successful operatic artists.
- Saturday 18 August, 7.00pm and Sunday 19 August, 2.00pm: Last Night of the Proms! conducted by Nicholas Milton AM. Venue: The Concourse, Chatswood
- Monday, 10 September, 10.00am:A presentation on the young operatic voice to the Northside Opera Study Group. Venue: St David's Uniting Church, 2 Provincial Road, Lindfield
- Sunday, 16 December, 3.00pm: Cantique de Noël.Venue: Utzon Room, Sydney Opera House
-- Information and booking
0491 018 602
The Sydney Opera Society is a group of music lovers which has been meeting monthly on the lower North Shore since the 1980s. There are nine meetings (at 2.00pm at Willoughby Uniting Church, 10 Clanwilliam Street), with talks and one concert each year.
- September 1: “Devil Take Her” ABC TV black / white opera 1962, and discussion with its singers, including member, Marie Tysoe, OAM, Robert Gard, OBE and Russell Smith
- October 13: TBC Mystery Talk – Dr David Larkin
- November 3: Annual General Meeting 1.15 pm; Artaserse - Hasse – Dr Jill Sullivan Opera Australia mezzo
- December Xmas Party lunch: venue TBA
The talks usually relate to operas being performed locally or to opera films being shown in cinemas. The annual concert is performed by singers from Sydney Conservatorium with all proceeds going to the Conservatorium opera school.