President: Dr Colleen Chesterman
Patron: Simone Young AM
Honorary Life Members
Professor Michael Ewans
Joe Ferfoglia (dec)
Dr Dennis Mather
Dr Terence Watson
Society - Aims
The Society aims:
- to promote the music of Richard Wagner and his contemporaries and to encourage a wider understanding of their work.
- to support the training of young Wagnerian or potential Wagnerian performers from NSW.
Committee elected at the 2018 AGM
President: Colleen Chesterman
Vice Presidents: Leona Geeves and Michael Day
Treasurer: Margaret Whealy
Secretary: Barbara de Rome
Members: Nick Dorsch, Jenny Edwards, Florian Hammerbacher, Esteban Insausti and Mailis Wakeham
Public Officer: Alasdair Beck
Newsletter Editor: Mike Day (Interim)
Webmaster: Jenny Edwards
The Wagner Society’s Facebook page can be accessed at www.facebook.com/WagnerNSW/
Society - Chronology and Significant Events
Following discussions in Bayreuth and London by several people interested in having a Wagner Society in Sydney, the Foundation meeting attended by 15 people was held at the Print Room Gallery, London on 26 October 1980. At this meeting an interim committee was formed to report back and the Society's Swan Lines logo was designed by Michel Arnould.
By early 1981, the Wagner Society of NSW had been established as an unincorporated association. Its first public function, a film evening showing documentaries on Bayreuth and the Ring centenary, was held in March 1981. Its first Annual General Meeting, at which the interim committee stepped down, a new committee was elected and the Constitution was adopted, was held on 22 May. Dr Leonard Hansen became the Society's first President and Sir Charles Mackerras its first Patron. Founding Members were each presented with a book "The Wagner Family Albums". Wagner's birthday was celebrated after the meeting, with German food and wine.
The Society was established as an incorporated association on 15 December 1986 (with alteration of the original Objects and Rules accepted on 31 August 1987).
More recent events:
- 1999 saw the launch of the Society's website.
- New Rules were adopted in 2005.
- In 2011 the Society's membership reached 1000 (both financial and unfinancial).
- The original logo for the Society was replaced by the current one in 2013, and was reflected in the new Wagner Society Quarterlies and on this website.
Dr Leonard Hansen
Jane Mathews AO
Dr Colleen Chesterman (2017 - )
Sir Charles Mackerras
Ms Simone Young AM (2011 - )
Singers currently assisted by the Society
Prizes currently supported by the Society
Sydney Song Prize